Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Conflicted future

I have started my duties as an international tutor now, and I feel now, more than ever before, that this is something I would do for a living. A true calling if you will. Offering help to people who are a little bit lost after such a quick change in setting and lifestyle is something I enjoy immensely. I somehow knew that I would like it as well, even though I'm usually quite bad at dealing with social situations.

However, I am still conflicted about what to do. I could pursue my original goal of becoming a full-fledged translator, go for proficiency in interpreting, or go for this new goal of international communication studies. They all appeal to me equally, though now the path of translator seems less and less appealing outside of voluntary work. It is a lonely job from what I've heard, and even our translation professor has advised students to not follow through as the current work conditions of translators are quite frankly abysmal, especially for students who have just gotten their degree.

Even then, the demand for translators right now is actually quite high due to professionals who have been in the business for a long time walking out of their jobs. It is a real dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment